Monday, April 18, 2011

Things that caught my eye last week

Toemageddon

6a00d8341c630a53ef014e60e83c13970c-320wi 
Recently, J Crew ran an ad in it’s catalogue showing the company's president and creative director Jenna Lyons laughing with her 5-year-old son Beckett, holding his cute little feet in her hand. A bottle of hot pink Essie nail polish is pictured below them.

“Lucky for me I ended up with a boy whose favorite color is pink,” reads the caption. “Toenail painting is so much more fun in neon.”

From this came a wide sweeping storm of controversy as news stations and “experts” appeared from under their rocks saying that Ms. Lyons was harming her little boy by “blurring” the lines of transgendering and J Crew was cashing in on propaganda.

Really?

Because all I see is a sweet mom/kid moment. Do we honestly think that by allowing this little boy to paint his nails pink he is being conditioned to become a transgender individual? 
I think Jon Stewart says is best in a video of his show where he weighs in on the great J Crew Nail Polish Debate.

Toemageddon-http://ow.ly/4AvvY

 

Say it ain’t so!!!

c1main.susan.lucci 
ABC announced last week that classic tv soaps- One Life To Live (OLTL) and All My Children (AMC) are being cancelled and replaced with a cooking show and a “life transforming” reality show.

WHAT?!?!

AMC and OLTL were a part of the daytime line-up for for more than 40 years each. I grew up watching both of these with my mom, grandma, and great grandma. It was a multi generational bonding moment. Though I gradually grew away from the daily watching-personal time constraints, school, family, ect…I always came back. Apparently, not many fans did. What I truly enjoyed was that I could stop watching for say, 2 years, and pick right back up in a few episodes. By this news of cancellation-I honestly feel as though a piece of my childhood is being ripped out and tossed aside.

The sad thing is that it seems that the this will lead to the inevitable cancellation of the four shows that remain on the air -The Young and the Restless, The Bold and the Beautiful, Days of Our Lives, and General Hospital. No matter what happens, in the end we will lose a unique storytelling creation that cannot and will not be replicated in primetime complex drama, reality tv, or elsewhere...

 

Alexander McQueen’s Savage Beauty Exhibit

Anna Wintour and Samantha Cameron presented a preview of "Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty" at London Fashion Week on Tuesday. The Costume Institute's exhibition honoring the late designer will be installed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City come May and include more than 100 pieces of his work, dating back to 1994 and up to last year.

Most of the items came from McQueen's colleagues and friends. Director of the Met Thomas Campbell told the Guardian, McQueen's "work fits so easily within the discourse of art. He can be considered no less than an artist whose medium of expression was fashion."

The exhibition will run from May 4 to July 31.
Take a look at some of the pieces to be featured, courtesy of The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

20110414_mcqueen2_400w 20110414_mcqueen_400w

20110415_mcqueen_520w

mcq2 mcq4

 

I love Ilona Andrews

but in a totally non creepy, ‘there is no need for a restraining order’ kind of way. I just really enjoy the writing of this husband & wife team.

I am a huge fan of their Kate Daniel's and their Edge series. It came to my attention (ok, my bloggy bff from Smexybooks posted about this Fri) that the cover for their new Bayou book-Fate’s Edge is up.
FatesEdge2_medium

Nice huh?
I also found a third Curran POV from Magic Bleeds. SQUEEE!!! Is it May yet?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love love love the Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty Exhibit. wowwowwow.

Also - do we know who this next Edge book is about??? I went and read the blurb from the book they posted, just skimmed it because blurbs only frustrate me, and I didn't recognize any of the names!

Gigi's Consignment Closet said...

I wish I lived in NY so I could see the exhibit.

It's 2 new characters in Fate's Edge though I'm sure we'll see old faces in there.